Thursday 10 January 2019

The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan

It took me a little over a week to finish The Son of Neptune but that was only due to starting college again and my schedule not leaving me much free time, but as usual I practically flew through this book. There's something about Rick's writing that makes me not want to put the book down once I've gotten into it, maybe its because these books are intended for younger readers so they're not as mentally draining as most YA novels.

The second installment in The Heroes of Olympus series begins with Percy's POV. This was my favorite thing about this book as I missed Percy during The Lost Hero. I connected with him so much during the Percy Jackson books that I struggled to get into The Lost Hero without him. Also with Percy being a main character again, I found it easier to push through the first few of Frank and Hazel's chapters in order to get back to Percy again. Much like any book with new characters I struggled with getting through the scenes with characters that I hadn't quite connected with yet/didn't know much about. But, by the end of the book I had fallen in love with everyone and couldn't wait to start The Mark of Athena in order to see what happens next. Especially with some of the questions that had been left unanswered at the end of this one.

I want this review to be as spoiler free as possible so I'm not going to say much about the overall plot however we do find out quite quickly that Hazel is the daughter of Pluto meaning she's related to Nico. Because of this Nico is present for a bit at the start of the book however, as much as I love Nico, he irritated me a bit purely because I wanted Percy to remember who he was and Nico wouldn't tell him, which I understand was part of Juno/Hera's plan, but it still annoyed me. It was similar to how I felt with Jason's amnesia in The Lost Hero however because I was aware of Percy's prior life, I was rooting for get his memory back ASAP.

Overall, I loved this book. It was filled with the usual from Riordan. Diverse characters, funny lines and an overall great plot with some awesome character development. For the few who still have yet to read this series, I highly recommend it!



No comments:

Post a Comment